Re: ALTER command reworks

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>,PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER command reworks
Date: 2013-01-15 15:49:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Kohei KaiGai escribió:
> 2013/1/15 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>:
> > Kohei KaiGai escribió:
> >
> >> The attached patch is a rebased version towards the latest master
> >> branch, and fix up the issue around error messages on name conflicts.
> >
> > I assume the lock.c changes are just a bollixed merge, right?
> >
> Yes, I'll check it and rebase it.

Wait for a bit before publishing a new version -- I'm going to push the
other patch so that you can merge on top.

Note that I'm going to commit a new function like this:

 * Raise an error to the effect that an object of the given name is already
 * present in the given namespace.
static void
report_namespace_conflict(Oid classId, const char *name, Oid nspOid)
	char   *msgfmt;

For this patch you will need to create a separate function which does
the conflicting-name report for objects that are not in a namespace.
Mixing both in-schema and schemaless objects in the same report function
seems messy to me.

Álvaro Herrera