Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>,Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: erroneous restore into pg_catalog schema
Date: 2013-01-14 19:07:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane escribió:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:

> > alvherre=# create extension adminpack;
> > ERROR:  permission denied for schema pg_catalog
> Um.  I knew that that module's desire to shove stuff into pg_catalog
> would bite us someday.  But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure
> I recall discussions to the effect that there are other third-party
> modules doing similar things.

How about we provide a superuser-only function that an extension can
call which will set enableSystemTableMods?  It would get back
automatically to the default value on transaction end.  That way,
extensions that wish to install stuff in pg_catalog can explicitely
declare it, i, and the rest of the world enjoys consistent protection.

Álvaro Herrera