Lock levels for ALTER TABLE

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Lock levels for ALTER TABLE
Date: 2013-01-10 02:22:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

EnterpriseDB reports that our documentation states that ALTER TABLE
takes SHARE UPDATE EXCLUSIVE and ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock modes. However,
their testing shows only ACCESS EXCLUSIVE locks. Is this accurate?
Have we changed how ALTER TABLE locks but didn't update our docs?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com