Re: Index build temp files

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index build temp files
Date: 2013-01-09 05:05:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> The code definitely will complain if you try to interactively SET
> temp_tablespaces to a space you lack permissions for.  However, there
> has never been a case in which people would hold still for warnings
> emitted as a consequence of values read from postgresql.conf or other
> background sources, and I doubt that the response would be different
> if we made this variable act like that.  See for example past
> discussions about what to do with invalid entries in search_path.

Indeed, I fully expected the comparison argument to search_path, but I
have to admit that search_path feels a great deal more like CWD, while
the temp tablespaces is more like trying to write to /tmp and getting an
error.

That is to say, tablespaces and in particular temp tablespaces are much
more 'system' level than search paths.  I don't expect regular users to
change their temp tablepace, while I expect them to change their search
path on a regular basis.

In any case, I was suggesting a NOTICE rather than a WARNING, though I
appreciate that both could make noise for users who don't expect it.
Still, I don't expect many users would complain about this, while they
would complain about a similar thing for search_path.  Perhaps that's
not how they *should* act, but humans aren't always logical.  :)

	Thanks,

		Stephen