Re: Index build temp files

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index build temp files
Date: 2013-01-09 04:38:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> Does the user running CREATE INDEX have CREATE permission on those
> tablespaces? (A quick way to double check is to try to SET
> temp_tablespaces to that value explicitly.) The code will silently
> ignore any temp tablespaces you don't have such permission for.

Great point, thanks for that. While working up a test case, I was able
to get it to use the temp tablespace. In looking back at the actual
system, it turns out that the load process (which creates the indexes)
doesn't have rights on those temp tablespaces.

If I can come up with a doc or similar patch, I'll post it, but I have
to admit that the docs are pretty clear that you need create rights.
Still, it seems a little odd that we don't complain in any way in this
case. Perhaps a NOTICE when the temp_tablespaces value is set but won't
be used due to permissions..?

Thanks,

Stephen