Re: [ADMIN] pg_upgrade from 9.1.3 to 9.2 failed

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Rural Hunter <ruralhunter(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] pg_upgrade from 9.1.3 to 9.2 failed
Date: 2012-10-02 15:58:57
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 09:10:33AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > lc_collate cluster values do not match: old "zh_CN.utf8", new "zh_CN.UTF-8"
> > Failure, exiting
> >
> > zh_CN.utf8 is provided by the installer and zh_CN.UTF-8 is my system
> > default.
>
> OK, this tells us that the canonicalization code used in initdb is not
> going to help us in pg_upgrade, at least not on your system, and not on
> mine.
>
> I think we should apply the patch that fixes the TOAST problem with
> information_schema, and the patch that outputs the old/new values for
> easier debugging.  Other than that, I don't know what else we can do
> except to ignore dashes when comparing locale names, which I am told is
> unacceptable.

Based on this great bug report and submitter leg-work, I have applied
three patches to pg_upgrade in head and 9.2, all attached:

*  try to get the canonical locale names, and report old/new values on mismatch
*  update query to skip toast tables for system objects
*  improve error reporting when the object counts don't match

None of these bugs caused pg_upgrade to produce an incorrect upgraded
cluster, so I am not going to panic and try to force them into 9.1,
which probably isn't being used by many people anymore anyway.

I think this closes this report.