Re: embedded list v3

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: embedded list v3
Date: 2012-09-30 20:33:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 06:57:32 PM Tom Lane wrote:
> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Patch 0001 contains a assert_compatible_types(a, b) and a
> > assert_compatible_types_bool(a, b) macro which I found very useful to
> > make it harder to misuse the api. I think its generally useful and
> > possibly should be used in more places.
>
> This seems like basically a good idea, but the macro names are very
> unfortunately chosen: they don't comport with our other names for
> assertion macros, and they imply that the test is symmetric which it
> isn't. It's also unclear what the point of the _bool version is
> (namely, to be used in expression contexts in macros).
>
> I suggest instead
>
> AssertVariableIsOfType(varname, typename)
>
> AssertVariableIsOfTypeMacro(varname, typename)
>
> Or possibly we should leave off the "Assert" prefix, since this will be
> a compile-time-constant check and thus not really all that much like
> the existing run-time Assert mechanism. Or write "Check" instead of
> "Assert", or some other verb.
>
> Anybody got another color for this bikeshed?
No, happy with the new name.

Thanks for committing! Wondered for a minute what the point of autoconfiscation
is/was but I see that e.g. clang already works... Nice.

The bizarre syntactic placement requirements directly come from the standard
btw. No idea why they thought that would be a good idea... (check 6.7.1,
6.7.2.1, 6.7.10).

Perhaps we need to decouple _Static_assert support from compound statement
support at some point, but we will see.

Greetings,

Andres