Re: Skip checkpoint on promoting from streaming replication

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com
Cc: masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Skip checkpoint on promoting from streaming replication
Date: 2012-08-30 07:05:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, sorry for long absense.

> At first I was unhappy that you'd removed the restriction that
> timelines only change on a shutdown checkpoint. But the reality is
> timelines change at any point in the WAL stream - the only way to tell
> between end of WAL and a timeline change is by looking for later
> timelines.

Yes, I felt uncomfortable with that point. The overlooking map
of timeline evolution on WAL stream seems obscure, and it should
have been made clear to do this. I couldn't show the clear map
for this CF.

> The rest of the logic seems OK, but its a big thing we're doing here
> and so it will take longer yet. Putting all the theory into comments
> in code would certainly help here.

Ok, I agreed.

> I don't have much else to say on this right now. I'm not committing
> anything on this now since I'm about to go on holiday, but I'll be
> looking at this when I get back.

Have a nice holyday.

> For now, I'm going to mark this as Returned With Feedback, but please
> don't be discouraged by that.

I think we have enough time to think about that yet, and I
believe this will be worth doing.

Thank you.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

== My e-mail address has been changed since Apr. 1, 2012.