Re: Let's talk about booth and goodies

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Let's talk about booth and goodies
Date: 2012-08-27 16:07:57
Lists: pgeu-general

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 05:55:08PM +0200, Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> Each year, thanks to many volunteers (including you I hope),
> PostgreSQL Europe is now present on many events, where there are
> booths most of the time.
>
> Those booths are generaly full of smart people talking about
> PostgreSQL to visitors and also, selling goodies.
>
> As today's revenues of PostgreSQL Europe mostly comes from
> sponsorship, specialy from the PostgreSQL Europe Conference.
>
> I was just wondering if we could do that different about goodies on
> booths, because, IMHO, selling goodies on booths have advantages but
> also disadvantages.
>
> Now that I have told about the general statment I want us to discuss
> about, I'll write another email with what I think we could do.
>
> PS: This e-mail and the next one only reflects my own toughts, as a
> pg.eu member. (drop role board_member;)

I'm a big fan of booth goodies people purchase, as it brings revenue,
i.e. makes it possible to do more things, and it doesn't generally
have the problem described below.

I am much less of a fan of free booth goodies with the possible
exception of really useful things like USB sticks because such free
goodies tend to enter the waste stream within seconds or minutes of
leaving the booth.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!