Re: BUG #6666: pg_upgrade 9.2beta1 plpython/plpython2

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6666: pg_upgrade 9.2beta1 plpython/plpython2
Date: 2012-06-01 15:48:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 09:37:06PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I share Tom's caution on this, but I think we need to make sure we are
> > addressing any possible risk of an isolated pg_upgrade fix, now that we
> > understand the cause.
>
> FYI, this query will show any functions defined in the public schema
> who's names match pg_pltemplate helper functions:
>
> 	SELECT proname
> 	FROM pg_proc JOIN pg_namespace ON (pronamespace = pg_namespace.oid)
> 	WHERE proname IN
> 		(
> 			SELECT tmplhandler FROM pg_pltemplate
> 			UNION
> 			SELECT tmplinline FROM pg_pltemplate
> 			UNION
> 			SELECT tmplvalidator FROM pg_pltemplate
> 		) AND
> 		nspname = 'public';
>
> This is normal in pre-8.1 but might indicate orphaned functions in PG
> 8.1+.

OK, based on the lack of excitement in doing anything more invasive, I
have applied the pg_upgrade fix to PG 9.2 for the plpython helper
function appearing in the public schema and referencing an old shared
library.

Should this be back-patched?  (Problem first reported in PG 9.1 due to
the removal of a backward-compatibility symlink.)  I am not sure we have
had enough problem reports to warrant it (3 reports).

(Should bug discussions stay on the bugs list?  I did for this bug.)