Re: CPU Load question / PgBouncer config

From: "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj(at)servoyant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CPU Load question / PgBouncer config
Date: 2012-05-14 17:13:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:02:30AM -0600, Benjamin Krajmalnik wrote:
> I am experiencing a little higher CPU load than I would like to see, and
> was wondering if it has to do with the number of connections (although
> many are idle).
>
> I am running PG 9.0.4/amd64 on FreeBSD 8.1., dual boxes running
> streaming replication.
>
> Hardware is a 16 core box with 96GB RAM, using 6GB of shared buffers.
>
> RAID 1 for OS, 12 drive RAID 10 for data, RAID 1 for logs.
>
> I am using pgbouncer as a connection pooler, with 200 max client
> connections, a default pool size of 100, and a reserve of 80.
>
> The number of backends running are between 40 and 70. I monitor the
> number of non-idle connections. Average is about 20, with non-frequent
> spikes going to about 40.
>
> My gut feeling is that I can probably reduce the pool size somewhat.
>
> Would reducing the number of backends relieve some of the load on the
> server (I am seeing a 5 min load of 12 more often than I would like to)?
>
> Also, for this size setup, what would be the recommended values for the
> pool sizes? I am certain the values are way above what they should be,
> but nbot certain.
>

> I posted here instead of the pgbouncer group hoping someone has
> experienced similar things.
>

> Prresently, I have the following load,
>

> last pid: 96231; load averages: 12.18, 11.07, 10.97
> up 112+19:23:29 11:02:05
>

> and this is the result from checking the state of pgbouncer:
>

> pgbouncer=# SHOW POOLS;
>
> database | user | cl_active | cl_waiting | sv_active | sv_idle |
> sv_used | sv_tested | sv_login | maxwait
>
> -----------+-----------+-----------+------------+-----------+---------+-
> --------+-----------+----------+---------
>
> ishield | xxxxxxx | 48 | 0 | 48 | 4 |
> 2 | 0 | 0 | 0
>
> pgbouncer | pgbouncer | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
> 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
>
> (2 rows)
>

> pgbouncer=# SHOW POOLS;
>
> database | user | cl_active | cl_waiting | sv_active | sv_idle |
> sv_used | sv_tested | sv_login | maxwait
>
> -----------+-----------+-----------+------------+-----------+---------+-
> --------+-----------+----------+---------
>
> ishield | xxxxxxx | 55 | 0 | 55 | 0 |
> 2 | 0 | 0 | 0
>
> pgbouncer | pgbouncer | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
> 0 | 0 | 0 | 0
>
> (2 rows)
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

For a 16-core box a load of 12 is only at 75% capacity, so it sounds like you
are doing just fine. It does seem like your connection pool is a bit large
for your hardware. A common recommendation is:

(number_of_cores * 2) + effective_spindle_count

or for your box: (16 * 2) + 6 = 38

It looks like you are about 2.5X that on your system.

Regards,
Ken