Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)
Date: 2012-05-02 16:25:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:19:38AM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Maybe we don't need to do this over multiple releases, but we do need
> to give warning of possible incompatibilities. It would be good to see
> a specific post on hackers called "Planned Incompatibilities in 9.2",
> or collect such things on the open items wiki, so that people
> listening can see what might happen and get a chance to object. Or if
> changes do go ahead, at least we give them a few months warning to
> change the downstream software. Otherwise all that happens is our new
> release comes out and fewer people use it because it takes ages to
> actually realign the software stack enough for our software to be
> used.

The release notes would certainly feature this as an incompatibility,
and would be present even before beta started. Unless they skip reading
the release notes, it would be hard for them to miss this change. I
also blog when major release notes are available for viewing.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com