unique constraint

From: "Roberto Caravani" <JFanatiker(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: unique constraint
Date: 2012-04-17 17:46:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi!

I have a little problem with a unique constraint:

create table meta_data (
id serial primary key,
type int not null,
data bytea not null,
unique (type, data)
);

data can be quite large (a few hundred kilo bytes). The unique constraint automatically creates a btree index as I learned from the documentation. The problem is that I get an error when inserting data, that the index is to large. I would like to keep the unique constraint, is there a way to fix this?

I googled the problem and found others having similar issues, but I have not found a solution that suited me.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Robert