Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation
Date: 2012-03-12 23:49:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:33:48PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, it seems people do care about keeping log files from multiple runs
> so I went with Tom's idea and have:

> pg_upgrade run on Thu Mar 8 19:30:12 2012
>
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
>
> Updated patch attached.
>
> FYI, in retain mode, these are the files left in the current directory:
>
> delete_old_cluster.sh
> pg_upgrade_dump_all.sql
> pg_upgrade_dump_db.sql
> pg_upgrade_dump_globals.sql
> pg_upgrade_internal.log
> pg_upgrade_restore.log
> pg_upgrade_server.log
> pg_upgrade_utility.log
>
> I will address the idea of using /tmp in another email.

OK, attached pg_upgrade patch applied, with this list of improvements in
logging:

add ability to control permissions of created files
have psql echo its queries for easier debugging
output four separate log files, and delete them on success
add -r/--retain option to keep log files after success
make log files append-only
remove -g/-G/-l logging options
sugggest tailing appropriate log file on failure
enhance -v/--verbose behavior

Thanks for all the feedback.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size