Re: Runtime SHAREDIR for testing CREATE EXTENSION

From: Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Runtime SHAREDIR for testing CREATE EXTENSION
Date: 2012-02-25 13:21:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Peter Eisentraut 2012-02-24 <1330107599(dot)32452(dot)15(dot)camel(at)vanquo(dot)pezone(dot)net>
> On fre, 2012-02-24 at 11:53 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > We have the same problem with testing extensions at build-time in
> > the
> > > Debian packages. The server's SHAREDIR /usr/share/postgresql/... is
> > > only writable by root, while the build is running as buildd user, so
> > > there is no way to do "create extension whatimbuildingrightnow" to
> > be
> > > able to run regression tests, even if this is a cluster I have just
> > > created with initdb.
> >
> > This seems like nonsense. If the build process has installed the
> > software, you surely have got permissions to write in that directory.
>
> The build process just installs the software in a fake root where it
> will be wrapped up by the packaging software.
>
> > If you haven't installed the software, you need to do testing in a
> > temporary installation per "make check", and we are able to test
> > extensions that way too.
> >
> That looks like the right answer.

Well, I'm trying to invoke the extension's "make check" target at
extension build time. I do have a temporary installation I own
somehwere in my $HOME, but that is still trying to find extensions in
/usr/share/postgresql/9.1/extension/*.control, because I am using the
system's postgresql version. The build process is not running as root,
so I cannot do an install of the extension to its final location.
Still it would be nice to run regression tests. All that seems to be
missing is the ability to put

extension_control_path = /home/buildd/tmp/extension

into the postgresql.conf of the temporary PG installation, or some
other way like "CREATE EXTENSION foobar WITH CONTROL '/home/buildd/...'.

Christoph
--
cb(at)df7cb(dot)de | http://www.df7cb.de/