Re: initdb and fsync

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb and fsync
Date: 2012-02-05 01:18:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 03:41:27PM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 13:18 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Yeah. Personally I would be sad if initdb got noticeably slower, and
> > I've never seen or heard of a failure that this would fix.
>
> I worked up a patch, and it looks like it does about 6 file fsync's and
> a 7th for the PGDATA directory. That degrades the time from about 1.1s
> to 1.4s on my workstation.

> So, is it worth it? Should we make it an option that can be specified?

If we add fsync calls to the initdb process, they should cover the entire data
directory tree. This patch syncs files that initdb.c writes, but we ought to
also sync files that bootstrap-mode backends had written. An optimization
like the pg_flush_data() call in copy_file() may reduce the speed penalty.

initdb should do these syncs by default and offer an option to disable them.