Re: Austin PGDay Speaker(s)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jon Erdman <postgresql(at)thewickedtribe(dot)net>
Cc: "austinpug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <austinpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Nasby <jnasby(at)enova(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Austin PGDay Speaker(s)
Date: 2012-02-04 14:18:53
Lists: austinpug

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:16:08PM -0600, Jon Erdman wrote:
> Really whenever you'd like. I'd imagine most speakers would come the
> day before and leave the day of in the evening, or the day after I
> suppose. At this point I'm not sure if our sponsorship situation will
> allow us to get everyone a room for two nights, but at the cheap rate
> we're getting that's not out of the realm of possibility by any means.
> I suspect Magnus might sample the town for a day or two before since
> he's never been. The rooms are only $139 and the hotel is sweet, check
> out the pictures (maybe even cheaper if we get a block):

(I have trimmed down the email CC list) I wanted to mention that it is
unrealistic to think that many people will fly out of Austin for the
east coast on the night of the event. There are very few flights, and
the total travel time is six hours (few non-stops), so if you leave at
3pm you get home by 9pm, or you leave at 9pm and get home at 6am, both
of which seem unworkable. There are no 7pm flights because they don't
want to be landing at 2am. (There is a 5pm Austin-Dulles, arrive 9pm,
but that is the latest they fly out, and that seems too tight.)

On the flip side, I do think speakers can pay for the extra hotel night
own their own, or the company might pay for it.

I just wanted to give a realistic estimate of how many people will be
staying Wednesday night.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com