Connecting to postgresql with pdadmin III

From: "David M(dot) Gullever" <david(dot)gullever(at)web(dot)de>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Connecting to postgresql with pdadmin III
Date: 2012-01-19 12:57:03
Lists: pgadmin-support

Thanks Dave Page, Kevin Grittner & Walter Hurry for the replies

since I had so many problems last time I am really doing this step-by-step.
Before I want to add any users I simply want to get (and understand) my
connections right. My step-by-step plan looks like this...

1. do installations (on my laptop) - done
2. using terminal, connect as postgres (no password) to pgsl - done
3. create database test - done
4. quit psql - done
5. start pgadmin III and attempt to ADD SERVER - failed (password error)
6. etc

It may be that I am missunderstanding something here and the help document
says the following...

"Use this dialog to add a new server connection to the root of the pgAdmin
tree. If you're experiencing connection problems, check the connection
problems page. The description is a text to identify the server in the
pgAdmin tree. The host is the IP address of the machine to contact, or the
fully qualified domain name. On Unix based systems the address field may be
left blank to use the default PostgreSQL Unix Domain Socket on the local
machine, or be set to an alternate path containing a PostgreSQL socket. If a
path is entered, it must begin with a "/". The port number and SSL
connection options may also be specified."

This explains the Host field but not the Name field. Perhaps those that
wrote this help document thought that this was obvious but IS IT ??? Up till

now I thought I was trying to connect to a Database on my local machine but
perhaps pgadmin III requires me to connect to the server first (WOULD THAT
BE POSTMASTER ON LOCALHOST ???) and then the database. In any case the
help-documentation does not deal with these problems so guys like me have to
ask in forums.

I have changed my pg_hba.conf to look like this (# IPv4 local connections:
now switched to trust did not solve the password problem)

# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local all postgres ident sameuser

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
local all all ident sameuser

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust

# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 md5.

So my pgadmin questions at this stage are...
1. Do I have to Add a server before adding a database (and what would be the
name of the Server)
2. Is a password for user postgres mandatory (will pgadmin III fail if no
password ???)

Sorry to bother everyone but it doesn't work and there is no documentation.
But perhaps instead of getting frustrated perhaps it would be better if I
should get involved in the pgadmin III documentation project (which I would
be happy to do, since at the moment there appears to be no .pdf
documentation). That would save all the irritation of people on the mailing
list reading posts like this from someone who just can't get started. I am
also reading PostgreSQL 9 Administration Cookbook - Simon Riggs & Hannu
Krosing (but no solutions there).

Thanks for your help.

regards
Dragonfish

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons
For you are crunchy and good with Mustard
David M. Gullever
david(dot)gullever(at)web(dot)de