patch: fix SSI finished list corruption

From: Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: patch: fix SSI finished list corruption
Date: 2012-01-07 00:15:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There's a corner case in the SSI cleanup code that isn't handled
correctly. It can arise when running workloads that are comprised
mostly (but not 100%) of READ ONLY transactions, and can corrupt the
finished SERIALIZABLEXACT list, potentially causing a segfault. The
attached patch fixes it.

Specifically, when the only remaining active transactions are READ
ONLY, we do a "partial cleanup" of committed transactions because
certain types of conflicts aren't possible anymore. For committed r/w
transactions, we release the SIREAD locks but keep the
SERIALIZABLEXACT. However, for committed r/o transactions, we can go
further and release the SERIALIZABLEXACT too. The problem was with the
latter case: we were returning the SERIALIZABLEXACT to the free list
without removing it from the finished list.

The only real change in the patch is the SHMQueueDelete line, but I
also reworked some of the surrounding code to make it obvious that r/o
and r/w transactions are handled differently -- the existing code felt
a bit too clever.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports MIT CSAIL http://drkp.net/

Attachment Content-Type Size
ssi-partial-cleanup.patch text/x-diff 0 bytes