Re: error tryiing to insert with collate

From: "Jean-Yves F(dot) Barbier" <12ukwn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error tryiing to insert with collate
Date: 2012-01-02 16:02:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:22:19 +0000
Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:

Oops, strange: often my answer goes to ML goes only to sender;
back in the loop.

> I suspect you have char or varchar fields you're inserting those text
> values into that are smaller than the values you're attempting to
> insert into them.

Wrong hunch:
INSERT INTO tst1m VALUES (default,
'źŠÿǚŦÏÔćÍĊĜÿG' COLLATE "hu_HU.utf8",
'úĽčŏUĶďeźİīŇč' COLLATE "hu_HU.utf8" );
ERROR: unsupported node type: 325

Anyway the columns are large enough to cope with these strings (32 & 64)
as they are copy from an existing row.

> In any case, it's not a helpful error you've been
> given back so that should be improved.

Yep, I seeked gogol for that and only get a very few answers, most of
them linking to PG source or unrelated.

> What do you get if you perform the exact same INSERT without the COLLATE parts?

Works (of course, see above) perfectly:
INSERT INTO tst1m VALUES ( default,
'źŠÿǚŦÍÏÔJŽććżûŘäpèăîÍŢŃDµŴŻĊĜÿG' ,
'úĽčŏṻŗĿÁťħĵŇğŚáÛĨæħŽīhĴÝUĶďeźİīŇč' );
INSERT 0 1

JY
--
Love is the only game that is not called on account of darkness.
-- M. Hirschfield