Re: How to establish a SSL connection to a postgresql server

From: "Jean-Yves F(dot) Barbier" <12ukwn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to establish a SSL connection to a postgresql server
Date: 2011-12-19 13:41:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:38:09 +0100
Christian Tonhäuser <christian(dot)tonhaeuser(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> I want to establish a secure connection to the database server (which is
> hosted externally) using SSL. What do I have to do?
>
> I'm a novice regarding network administration and similar stuff. I can get a
> certificate and private key from the hosting firm.
>
> Is there any good step-by-step guide online? It’s about the settings that
> have to be done, before even connecting.

You can use the intrinsic or something like stunnel that'll
just create the tunnel (and optionaly the connection).

Some times ago I found a very useful howto (unfortunately I've
broken my HD since, so no bookmark) that explains how to be
automagically connected by changing the client CN (if I remember
well) to the user's name.

1st step: change the port.

A head start:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/libpq-ssl.html