Re: Number of connections still limited on Windows 64-bit?

From: Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de
To: lst_hoe02(at)kwsoft(dot)de, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Number of connections still limited on Windows 64-bit?
Date: 2011-12-13 16:15:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello Andreas,

thank you very much for the link.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 13:04:30 +0100
> Von: lst_hoe02(at)kwsoft(dot)de
> Zitat von Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>:

> > I wonder whether the number of connections is still limited on
> > Windows 64-bit if you also use a 64-bit version of PostgreSQL:

> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Running_%26_Installing_PostgreSQL_On_Native_Windows#I_cannot_run_with_more_than_about_125_connections_at_once.2C_despite_having_capable_hardware

So the default setting for Windows 7 64-Bit seems to be:
SharedSection=1024,20480,768

Makes me wonder whether PostgreSQL ( as a service ) still uses the 'Non-interactive desktop heap' for connections then.

I used pgbench for testing 500 connections ( max_connections set to 600 ):
Initialize:
pgbench -i -U postgres -h host -p port
Test:
pgbench -U postgres -h host -p port -c 500
Verify:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM pg_stat_activity;

The non-interactive Desktop Heap has been increased by just a half - yet the number of connections can obviously be much higher than 200. I guess the connections don't need less memory now though.

Do the services share the same desktop (heap) or does each (PostgreSQL) service has its own ( if I register each service for a different Windows user?).

Thank you very much,

Peter