to_date() marked stable?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: to_date() marked stable?
Date: 2011-11-29 03:11:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I was wondering why we mark to_date() as stable and not immutable?  It
seems to have been set to stable in 2006 with this patch:

	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-11/msg00264.php

	Also, mark to_date() and to_char(interval) as stable; although these
	appear not to depend on any GUC variables as of CVS HEAD, that seems a
	property unlikely to survive future improvements.  It seems best to mark
	all the formatting functions stable and be done with it.

Are there people using to_date in indexes or partition functions where
changing it to immutable would be useful?  The code seems complete
enough now that we should consider an optimization here.