Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq
Date: 2011-11-24 07:40:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 08:59:56AM +0200, Alexander Shulgin wrote:
> > How would you specifiy a local port/UNIX domain socket?
>
> Missed that in my previous reply.
>
> If host part of the URI points to localhost, the UNIX domain socket would be considered by libpq just as if you would pass "-h localhost -p 5433".

Uh, no it doesn't. "-h localhost" uses TCP/IP (try it). This is one
piece of mysql magic we don't copy. If you want to use the socket you
need to specify "-h /tmp" or wherever you keep it. Leaving out the -h
parameter also uses UNIX domain sockets.

Which does raise the valid question of how to represent that in URI
syntax. SQLAlchemy (for example) doesn't try with it's URL syntax, to
connect to a non-default UNIX socket, you need to create the URL object
directly.

How about the "service" option, that's a nice way of handling
non-default socket options.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer