Re: Real novice question: Roles

From: "Jean-Yves F(dot) Barbier" <12ukwn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Real novice question: Roles
Date: 2011-11-18 18:26:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 17:45:58 +0000
Phil Dobbin <phildobbin(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Whether a reply is warranted or not is the domain of the replyee ;-).

More a TYPE than a DOMAIN °<:p)

> Coming from MySQL to PostgreSQL, I find the pgsql documentation somewhat
> obfuscated.

Not really; this is because MySQL lacks many things (opposed to Pg AND SQL
standards), so you can think about it as the difference between a (very)
small car and a (very) large one: there are much more equipments in the
larger one, thus the manual is... larger.

You should begin reading docs with .../index.html, not .../bookindex.html

> I needed to get in this one instance a working PostgreSQL
> database running for a RoR project I'm doing (normally I'd use MySQL or
> NoSQL) so I needed a quick & dirty way to get running in order to start
> examining the documentation further.

This is a very risky way: DB SQL, Pg idiomatics and modelization are *really*
other worlds than regular programming (this is why both are usually separated
in projects, not for pleasure but by necessity).

While trying to get it fast'n'run you'll miss all the good things a real
RDBMS can bring to you. In your case, the first one I see is learning
that large tables can't make it with a high load on the server (modelization).

Unfortunately this takes (long) time, but this time payback!
(I spent a whole year exclusively on PG and I'm far from knowing it 100%)

--
A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.