Re: Add socket dir to pg_config..?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add socket dir to pg_config..?
Date: 2011-10-30 14:27:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 08:28:57PM +0000, Mr. Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
> > If /tmp is the only decent place where to put the socket file on Unix
> > when security and other concerns are considered, then sure, making
> > distro life difficult is a good thing to do. But then let's take it to
> > the FHS that debian and ubuntu are implementing, AFAIUI.

> In Gentoo, we change the socket directory to /var/run/postgresql via
> pg_config_manual.h. However, I'm not too terribly interested in pg_config
> outputting the directory location.

Frankly, I'm not seeing the difference between the socket directory and
the "listen_addresses" option. When connecting you can specify the
socket directory to use via the "host" option.

It might even be more logical to be able to specify multiple
directories. Given we support multiple listen sockets I can't imagine
it would require much code.

(And yes, just today I ran into the issue of hardcoded paths. If the
directory it points to is not world writable then you've limited the
users who can run the postgres server. Which is an unnecessary
restriction imho).

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer