Re: pg_upgrade if 'postgres' database is dropped

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade if 'postgres' database is dropped
Date: 2011-10-28 02:40:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen Frost wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> > So, it is going to be confusing to support both databases because there
> > is the cleanup details I have to document if I use template1.
>
> Presumably there's some other database in the system besides template1
> if postgres doesn't exist.. Would it be possible to just make it
> configurable? Then the user could pick a non-template database. Having
> it fail if the option isn't used and the default postgres isn't there is
> fine, imv.

I have not seen enough demand to make this a user-visible configuration.
We can just tell them to create a postgres database. Frankly, they
would have had to _remove_ the postgres database after initdb for it not
to be there, and they are instructed to change nothing about the new
database.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com