BUG #6264: Superuser does not have inherent Replication permission

From: "Keith Fiske" <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6264: Superuser does not have inherent Replication permission
Date: 2011-10-21 21:54:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6264
Logged by: Keith Fiske
Email address: keith(at)omniti(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.1
Operating system: Debian
Details:

Was testing out an upgrade from 9.0.4 to 9.1.1 and ran across either some
lack of clarity in the documentation or a bug in the superuser privilege.
I had a streaming replication setup and after the upgrade and setting up the
new slave, the slave would no longer connect to the master for SR. Looking
into this more, I saw that 9.1 has a new Replication permission to allow
non-superusers the ability to be replication users.
The documentation says replication is inherent to a superuser. After testing
several times, I can assure you it is not. The old replication user from
9.0.4 which was carried through the upgrade kept its superuser privileges,
but was unable to be used for replication until I explicitly granted it the
Replication permission.
Brand new roles created initially as superusers are explicitly given the
separate replication permission. If you create a user as a NONsuperuser,
then later ALTER them to be one, they will NOT have the replication
permission and cannot be used as a replication user until you explicitly
grant that permission.