BUG #6229: Postgresql crashes after: LOG: statistics buffer is full

From: "Max Kunz" <admin(at)m4ximus(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6229: Postgresql crashes after: LOG: statistics buffer is full
Date: 2011-09-27 16:50:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6229
Logged by: Max Kunz
Email address: admin(at)m4ximus(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.3
Operating system: Suse
Details:

Hello,

i have detected a problem after postgres logs "statistics buffer is full":
The database achieves farther on connections from the clients but no one
could process a statement and neither of the connection was closed.
It was also not possible to shutdown postgresql regularly.

Is there a dependence on statistics buffer, while processing statements?
I've read a lot about similar problems on the internet, but could not finde
a satisfying solution.

Is that a known problem?

Here is the statistic collector configuration:

# - Query/Index Statistics Collector -

stats_start_collector = on
stats_command_string = on
#stats_block_level = off
stats_row_level = on
#stats_reset_on_server_start = off

I need the collector to perform autovacuum. Is it helpful to disable the
command_string?

I am very greatful for any idea to avoid this problem in future.

best regards,
Max