Re: Large C files

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large C files
Date: 2011-09-08 17:34:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:

> >> When else would you have us develop?
> >
> > In my eyes that sort of activity *is* development. ?I find the
> > distinction you are drawing entirely artificial, and more calculated to
> > make sure refactoring never happens than to add any safety. ?Any
> > significant development change carries a risk of breakage.
>
> You clearly have the bit between your teeth on this.

So I guess Tom, Robert Haas, and I all have bits then.

> That doesn't make it worthwhile or sensible though.

We are not saying do it now.  We are disputing your suggestion that now
is not a good time --- there is a difference.

> I've offered to do it slowly and carefully over time, but that seems
> not enough for some reason. What is the real reason for this?

Oh, if we told you, then, well, you would know, and the big secret would
be out.  (Hint:  when three people are telling you the same thing, odds
are there is not some secret motive.)