Re: Automated pg_Dump issue

From: Carlo Ascani <carlo(dot)ascani(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Automated pg_Dump issue
Date: 2011-09-02 14:47:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 06:39:57 -0700
Chris Campbell <ccampbell(at)cascadeds(dot)com> wrote:

> What dark magic is involved in setting the pgpass.conf file to allow
> pg_dump to work without a password prompt? I set it based on the
> suggestion given in the older post but it doesn't seem to matter what
> I put in there: (localhost:5432:dd3_000:postgres:postgres) The
> pgpass.conf file exists in the root of my database cluster. Is that
> correct? Thanks for any suggestions...

Reading from postgresql documentation [1]:
"On Microsoft Windows the file is named %APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.conf
(where %APPDATA% refers to the Application Data subdirectory in the
user's profile)."

Anyway, you could use pgAdmin III to store the password (in the server's properties).
That operation automatically creates a correct pgpass.conf file, so pg_dump will use that file.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html

Waiting for feedback
--
Carlo Ascani - 2ndQuadrant Italia