BUG #6166: configure from source fails with 'This platform is not thread-safe.' but was actually /tmp perms

From: "Alex Soto" <apsoto(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6166: configure from source fails with 'This platform is not thread-safe.' but was actually /tmp perms
Date: 2011-08-17 21:50:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      6166
Logged by:          Alex Soto
Email address:      apsoto(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.4
Operating system:   Linux (CentOS release 5.0 (Final))
thread-safe.' but was actually /tmp perms
Details:

I was trying to build the 9.0.4 source tarball as the postgres user on a
test machine.

The configure step failed with the error:
This platform is not thread-safe.  Check the file 'config.log' or compile
and run src/test/thread/thread_test for the exact reason.
Use --disable-thread-safety to disable thread safety.

As I started looking through the log file I noticed that it failed to write
to the /tmp directory.  Other configure steps had written to /var/tmp, but
this step tried to write to /tmp for some reason.

I fixed by correcting the permissions on the /tmp dir, but I thought the
error message was a little misleading, so I thought I'd report the problem.

The specific configure I ran was:
./configure --disable-integer-datetimes

but I don't think the config option likely makes a difference.

pgsql-bugs by date

Subject: Re: PG8.4.7: updating rows leaves duplicate rows violating PK