BUG #6140: PostgreSQL Server Service Not Starting

From: "Steve Boyd" <sboyd67(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6140: PostgreSQL Server Service Not Starting
Date: 2011-08-02 12:01:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6140
Logged by: Steve Boyd
Email address: sboyd67(at)yahoo(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.12
Operating system: Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2
Details:

Good morning!

I've searched through the bug archives but can't seem to find an answer to
this issue. We have version 8.3.12 installed and the PostgreSQL server
service is trying to start but doesn't. I receive the following message when
I click on the service:

"The PostgreSQL Server 8.3 service on Local Computer started then stopped.
Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example,
the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I've checked the PostgreSQL logs and there is nothing there. The last log
entry was in May. I've checked the windows event viewer and get the
following error message:

"could not open process token: error code 5"

The service account is in the local administrators group and has full
control over the data directory. Not sure what has changed. I even
re-entered the password to confirm that the "logon as a service right" was
granted.

I was going to try to upgrade to 8.3.15 but since pgdumpall won't work if
the service is not running, that's not an option.

Not sure where else to look. Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve