Re: error: could not find pg_class tuple for index 2662

From: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error: could not find pg_class tuple for index 2662
Date: 2011-07-29 06:31:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 07:45:01PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM, daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> wrote:
> >> On what version of PostgreSQL?

> Ah, OK, sorry. Well, in 9.0, VACUUM FULL is basically CLUSTER, which
> means that a REINDEX is happening as part of the same operation. In
> 9.0, there's no point in doing VACUUM FULL immediately followed by
> REINDEX. My guess is that this is happening either right around the
> time the VACUUM FULL commits or right around the time the REINDEX
> commits. It'd be helpful to know which, if you can figure it out.

I'll update my vacuum script to skip reindexes after vacuum full for 9.0
servers and see if that makes the problem go away. Thanks for reminding
me that they are not needed. However, I suspect it is the vacuum, not the
reindex causing the problem. I'll update when I know.

> If there's not a hardware problem causing those read errors, maybe a
> backend is somehow ending up with a stale or invalid relcache entry.
> I'm not sure exactly how that could be happening, though...

It does not appear to be a hardware problem. I also suspect it is a stale
relcache.

-dg

--
David Gould daveg(at)sonic(dot)net 510 536 1443 510 282 0869