Re: How to start a database in ReadOnly mode?

From: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to start a database in ReadOnly mode?
Date: 2011-07-07 07:49:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello
Στις Thursday 07 July 2011 10:26:19 ο/η Simon Riggs έγραψε:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Paul Schluck <pschluck(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to start a postgres cluster or 1 postgres database in
> > readonly mode? And - if yes - how can this be done?
>
> There is no formal, explicit command to do that. Just avoid doing
> writes, either in the application or by removing privileges.

This is how we did it, when there was a special requirement to do so for a special occasion,
make a new user (lets call it "readonly") and have the app authenticating with this user.
Manage his privileges with smth like: (for every table)
CREATE user readonly;
REVOKE ALL ON DATABASE <your database> FROM readonly;
(for each table) GRANT SELECT ON <your table> TO readonly;

For this last one you might need to write a script, producing the sql commands.
> --
> Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Achilleas Mantzios