Re: Adding Japanese README

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding Japanese README
Date: 2011-06-30 00:42:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> My idea is defining "maintainer" for each README. Of course I am
>> ready for Japanese one.
>
> That would only cover part of the problem, and not on a permanent
> basis.
>
> How do you notice that a README has changed?

Commit messages, obviously.

> How does the community know when the changes have been completely
> incorporated into the translation?

Why don't you worry about message translations then? Translation is a
human process and there's no way to guaranteer the translation is
perfect.

> What do we do if we have README translations which haven't been
> updated when it's time to tag a release?  Delete them?  Leave old,
> misleading content?

I would say delete them. The reson for this is:

> If the mainter is too lazy, we would be
> able to remove the file before releasing new version. In another word,
> the released version of PostgreSQL will always have accurate README,
> which itself valuable for those who are in charge of maintaining older
> versions.

> What if you move on to something else and are no longer active in
> the project?
>
> I think this needs a well-defined and sustainable *process*, not
> just a set of volunteers.  I'm skeptical that a workable process can
> be devised, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Kevin, this is an open source project. Nobody can guarantee that
he/she can continute to contribute forever. If we are so worry about
this, we will never be able to accept any contribution at all.

BTW I will talk to some Japanese speaking developers about my idea if
community agree to add Japanese README to the source tree so that I am
not the only one who are contributing this project(I can commit that
my coworkers will help the project. However I prefer to gather
contributors outside my company in addition to inside my company since
this will bring more sustainable activity).

--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan