BUG #6084: When Updating Tables with Select Into

From: "Stewart Fritts" <stewart(dot)fritts(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6084: When Updating Tables with Select Into
Date: 2011-06-29 14:19:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6084
Logged by: Stewart Fritts
Email address: stewart(dot)fritts(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4
Operating system: Windows Server 2003
Details:

First, I love your database. I have been using it for a few years now and it
rarely lets me down while regularly surprising me with how powerful it truly
is.

I recently migrated some data from one set of tables to another within a
single schema. I did this by using a select...into query. Everything moved
perfectly. However; I noticed that the sequence for the receiving table did
not increment with the newly added data.

It was an easy enough fix, I just changed the current value of the sequence
causing the issue. But I thought it was worth mentioning that this happened.