Re: pgAdmin III woes (on linux)

From: richard terry <rterry(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III woes (on linux)
Date: 2011-06-10 08:12:25
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Friday 10 June 2011 01:37:31 Matthias Leopold wrote:
Leopold:

having used pgadmin3 for many years   in linux, currently on a project with 30
odd schemas and hundreds of tables I have great respect for it as a tool.

Wheras its easy to edit text fields whose contents are not long, I don't think
its designers intended this to be a prime function - certainly trying to edit
or copy a field with large contents is difficult however if you must do this for
some reason just make the rows higher. Usually field editing  like this would
be done by whatever language/gui intereface you are using to access the data
from postgres, not via pgadmin itself. You can also of course just run an
update query in a pgadmin window. Personally if I have to maintain lookup
tables I just write a little gui application to do it.

However a suggestion which I find very useful for doing more complex things
with postgres: pay real money for the postgres product from these poeple:
http://www.sqlmanager.net/downloads - I've worked on a number of open source
projects and when I need to do complex things quickly   or debug functions  -
this is a fantastic tool - I think you can download a trial version - I just
run it in virtual box. Its gui query designer is second to none and far far
far better than the one in pgAdmin3.

I've paid real money for this and the upgrades and its worth every cent. You
can just copy/paste from linux > windows > linux as you need to.

kind regards

richard