Re: BUG #6052: ADD COLUMN - ERROR: tables can have at most 1600columns

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: dinesh <dinesh(at)milkorwater(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6052: ADD COLUMN - ERROR: tables can have at most 1600columns
Date: 2011-06-07 19:02:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 07:09:27AM +0000, dinesh wrote:
> I have a table which is used during data uploads, a so-called staging table.
> This table has a fixed number of columns that [must] match the input CSV
> file. This CSV file is uploaded using COPY command. Following the COPY, a
> new column (meant for indexing) is constructed on this table using some
> application logic; and dropped after that data upload cycle is over.

When you provide a column list to the COPY command, the table's columns need not
exactly match the input CSV structure.  Could you leave that extra column there
all the time, omit it from your column list in the COPY command, and have a
trigger or default value expression populate it during the COPY?