Re: selecting records X minutes apart

From: Masaru Sugawara <pgsql(at)amail(dot)plala(dot)or(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: selecting records X minutes apart
Date: 2011-06-05 11:52:30
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 15:52:53 -0400
lists-pgsql(at)useunix(dot)net wrote:

I also think you might want to use WITH RECURSIVE clause.
This SQL searches the case of an interval of 5 minutes or more,
and sets a relationship between a parent to its child.

CREATE TABLE tbl(id integer, ts time) ;
INSERT INTO tbl VALUES
(0, '20:00'),
(0, '20:05'),
(0, '20:08'),
(0, '20:10'),
(0, '20:11'),
(1, '20:03'),
(1, '20:04'),
(1, '20:05'),
(1, '20:09'),
(1, '20:16');

SELECT * FROM tbl;

--
WITH RECURSIVE rec(id , ts_p, ts_c) AS (
SELECT a1.id, min(a1.ts), min(b1.ts)
FROM tbl AS a1, tbl AS b1
WHERE a1.id=b1.id AND a1.ts + interval'5 minute' <= b1.ts
GROUP BY a1.id
UNION ALL
SELECT t2.id, t2.ts_p, t2.ts_c
FROM rec AS t1 INNER JOIN
(SELECT a2.id, a2.ts as ts_p, min(b2.ts) AS ts_c
FROM tbl AS a2, tbl AS b2
WHERE a2.id = b2.id AND a2.ts + interval'5 minute' <= b2.ts
GROUP BY a2.id, a2.ts
UNION ALL
SELECT a3.id, a3.ts, null
FROM tbl AS a3
) AS t2 ON t1.id = t2.id AND t1.ts_c=t2.ts_p
)
SELECT DISTINCT id, ts_p AS ts FROM rec
ORDER BY 1,2;