Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-31 13:58:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 09:33:33AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> > On mån, 2011-05-30 at 21:52 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> >> I have used RT and I found that the
> >> web interface was both difficult to use and unwieldly for tickets
> >> containing large numbers of messages.  Maybe those those things have
> >> been improved, but frankly if RT or Bugzilla is the best we can come
> >> up with then I'd rather not have a bug tracker at all.
> >
> > Given that you have been one of the people calling for a bug tracker,
> > and these are the two most widely used systems available, what's wrong
> > with them and what else would you suggest?
>
> IIRC, both of them think that you should log into the web interface to
> send emails (which, in the case of Bugzilla, don't permit replies),
> rather than sending emails that show up in the web interface. But the
> web interface is, at least in RT, also seems to be pretty rudimentary.

If you use the commands-by-email with RT you can do most things with
Email.

> Suppose you have a thread with 40 emails in it. View that thread in
> Gmail. Now view it in RT. In RT, you will notice that there's no way
> to unexpand emails, and all of the data is loaded with the page, so
> you sit there for half a minute waiting for everything to load.
> There's also no suppression of duplicated or quoted meterial, as Gmail
> does. It's usable, I guess, but it's a long way from
> state-of-the-art.

You can adjust what RT will display in the interface and the latest
release does include some enhanced duplicate/quoted material suppression.
Note, I am not pushing for RT necessarily just trying to keep information
available.

Regards,
Ken