Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby

From: Jun Ishiduka <ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Online base backup from the hot-standby
Date: 2011-05-31 04:46:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I don't much like that approach. The standby would need to be able to
> write the backup history file to the archive at the end of backup, and
> we'd have to reintroduce the code to fetch it from archive and, when
> streaming, from the master. At the moment, the archiver doesn't even run
> in the standby.

Please teach the reason for "The standby would need to be able to write
the backup history file to the archive at the end of backup" .
(I'd like to know why "to only pg_xlog" is wrong .)

Because there is the opinion of "Cascade replication" , I don't want to
realize the function with the method which the standby requests to execute
it on the primary server .

(The opinion of "Cascade replication":
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-05/msg01150.php)

Jun Ishizuka
NTT Software Corporation
TEL:045-317-7018
E-Mail: ishizuka(dot)jun(at)po(dot)ntts(dot)co(dot)jp