Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: switch UNLOGGED to LOGGED
Date: 2011-05-19 19:24:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:42:03AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> > It would solve the problem, but it would mean resetting unlogged relations on
> > the standby at every shutdown checkpoint. ?That's probably not a performance
> > problem, but it is a hack.
>
> I haven't thought about this too deeply, but I'm not sure I agree
> that's a hack. Why do you think it is?

It would make the standby reset unlogged relations on both regular shutdowns and
crashes, while the master only does so on crashes. This creates no functional
hazard since unlogged relation contents are never accessible during hot standby.
It seems like a hack to rely on that fact at any distance, but perhaps a comment
is enough to assuage that.

nm