== PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 03 2011 ==
PostgreSQL 9.1alpha5 released, with lots of improvements!
This is the (latest ;) last planned alpha for 9.1. You can get it here:
PostgreSQL Turkey User Group is organizing a one-day event on April
30, 2011. Follow @PgDayTR for details in Turkish.
== PostgreSQL Product News ==
DBD::Pg 2.18.0, a Perl driver for PostgreSQL, released.
== PostgreSQL Local ==
There will be a large PostgreSQL presence at the MySQL Conference and
Expo, April 11-14, 2011 in Santa Clara, California.
Open Database Camp will be on May 7-9, 2011 in Sardinia, Italy
PGCon will be May 19-20, 2011 at the University of Ottawa, preceded by
two days of tutorials on May 17-18.
PG Session 2, on PostGIS, will be held on June 23rd in Paris. The CfP
pgbr will be in Sao Paulo, Brazil November 3-4, 2011.
== PostgreSQL in the News ==
Planet PostgreSQL: http://planet.postgresql.org/
PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter
Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot) Spanish language
== Reviews ==
== Applied Patches ==
Tom Lane pushed:
- Get rid of links that don't work when building HISTORY.
- Prevent a rowtype from being included in itself. Eventually we
might be able to allow that, but it's not clear how many places need
to be fixed to prevent infinite recursion when there's a direct or
indirect inclusion of a rowtype in itself. One such place is
CheckAttributeType(), which will recurse to stack overflow in cases
such as those exhibited in bug #5950 from Alex Perepelica. If we
were sure it was the only such place, we could easily modify the
code added by this patch to stop the recursion without a complaint
... but it probably isn't the only such place. Hence, throw error
until such time as someone is excited enough about this type of
usage to put work into making it safe. Back-patch as far as 8.3.
8.2 doesn't have the recursive call in CheckAttributeType in the
first place, so I see no need to add code there in the absence of
clear evidence of a problem elsewhere.
- Fix typo in PQconnectStartParams(). This would lead to leaking the
PGconn structure after an error detected by conninfo_array_parse(),
as well as failing to return a useful error message in such cases.
Backpatch to 9.0 where the error was introduced. Joseph Adams
Alvaro Herrera pushed:
- Add missing #include
Robert Haas pushed:
- Mark up release notes using <link>. Unlike <xref>, this actually
- Fix compiler warning.
- Support comments on FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER and SERVER objects. This
mostly involves making it work with the objectaddress.c framework,
which does most of the heavy lifting. In that vein, change
GetForeignDataWrapperOidByName to get_foreign_data_wrapper_oid and
GetForeignServerOidByName to get_foreign_server_oid, to match the
pattern we use for other object types. Robert Haas and Shigeru
- pg_dump support for comments on FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER and SERVER
objects. Shigeru Hanada, with some corrections.
- Tab completion for COMMENT ON FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER / SERVER.
- Avoid possible hang during smart shutdown. If a smart shutdown
occurs just as a child is starting up, and the child subsequently
becomes a walsender, there is a race condition: the postmaster might
count the exstant backends, determine that there is one normal
backend, and wait for it to die off. Had the walsender transition
already occurred before the postmaster counted, it would have
proceeded with the shutdown. To fix this, have each child that
transforms into a walsender kick the postmaster just after doing so,
so that the state machine is certain to advance. Fujii Masao
- Remove mention of using "man" from the tutorial. This isn't
applicable on Windows, and the internal link to the psql
documentation should be more than sufficient. Susanne Ebrecht
- Improve documentation on the range of the numeric data type. Gianni
Ciolli, reviewed by Noah Misch.
- Rearrange "add column" logic to merge columns at exec time. The
previous coding set attinhcount too high in some cases, resulting in
an undumpable, undroppable column. Per bug #5856, reported by Naoya
Anzai. See also commit 31b6fc06d83c6de3644c8f2921eb7de0eb92fac3,
which fixes a similar bug in ALTER TABLE .. ADD CONSTRAINT. Patch
by Noah Misch.
Bruce Momjian pushed:
- Add 9.1 release note link for synchronous replication. We already
had links to the GUC variables that control it.
- In pg_upgrade, add C comment about how autovacuum is disabled.
- Expand comment on how pg_upgrade is turning off autovacuum.
- Mention pg_upgrade sets autovacuum_freeze_max_age to maximum.
Peter Eisentraut pushed:
- Add maintainer-check target. This can do various source code checks
that are not appropriate for either the build or the regression
tests. Currently: duplicate_oids, SGML syntax and tabs check, NLS
- Make duplicate_oids return nonzero exit status if duplicates were
found. Automatic detection of errors is easier that way.
- Update SQL features list. Feature F692 "Extended collation support"
is now also supported. This refers to allowing the COLLATE clause
anywhere in a column or domain definition instead of just directly
after the type. Also correct the name of the feature in accordance
with the latest SQL standard.
Heikki Linnakangas pushed:
- Adjust error message, now that we expect other message types than
connection close at this point. Fix PQsetnonblocking() comment.
- Automatically terminate replication connections that are idle for
more than replication_timeout (a new GUC) milliseconds. The TCP
timeout is often too long, you want the master to notice a dead
connection much sooner. People complained about that in 9.0 too,
but with synchronous replication it's even more important to notice
dead connections promptly. Fujii Masao and Heikki Linnakangas
- Check that we've reached end-of-backup also when we're not
performing archive recovery. It's possible to restore an online
backup without recovery.conf, by simply copying all the necessary
WAL files to pg_xlog. "pg_basebackup -x" does that too. That's the
use case where this cross-check is useful. Backpatch to 9.0. We
used to do this in earlier versins, but in 9.0 the code was
inadvertently changed so that the check is only performed after
archive recovery. Fujii Masao.
- Improve error message when WAL ends before reaching end of online
- Reword the phrase on zero replication_timeout in the docs.
- Don't leak the temporary PLyProcedure struct we create for inline
plpython blocks. Investigation by Jan Urbański, though I didn't use
- Increase SHMEM_INDEX_SIZE from 32 to 64. We're currently at 40
entries in ShmemIndex, so 64 leaves some headroom. Kevin Grittner
- Fix a tiny race condition in predicate locking. Need to hold the
lock while examining the head of predicate locks list. Also, fix
the comment of RemoveTargetIfNoLongerUsed, it was neglected when we
changed the way update chains are handled. Kevin Grittner.
- Fix two missing spaces in error messages. Josh Kupershmidt.
- Escape greater than and less than characters in docs. Susanne
Ebrecht and me.
Andrew Dunstan pushed:
- Attempt to unbreak windows builds broken by commit 754baa2.
Magnus Hagander pushed:
- Avoid palloc before CurrentMemoryContext is set up on win32.
Instead, write the unconverted output - it will be in the wrong
encoding, but at least we don't crash. Rushabh Lathia
== Rejected Patches (for now) ==
No one was disappointed this week :-)
== Pending Patches ==
Heikki Linnakangas sent in a variant patch to prevent memory leaks in
Heikki Linnakangas sent in another revision of the patch to add a
replication server timeout.
Bernd Helmle sent in another revision of the patch to use a more
reasonable size for \dt in psql.
Simon Riggs sent in a patch which adds 5 more levels of durability to
Joseph Adams sent in five more revisions of the patch to add JSON as
a data type.
Kevin Grittner sent in a patch to prevent large tables from breaking
SSI by overflowing predicate lock hash buckets.
Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch to fix complaints from gcc 4.6.
Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch to fix a case where typed tables
Robert Haas and Shigeru HANADA traded patches to allow commenting on
Peter Eisentraut sent in a patch to fix how exit_nicely() works.
Radoslaw Smogura sent in another revision of the patch to add a second
level buffer cache.
Jan Wieck sent in a patch to fix an issue with autovacuum performance.
Merlin Moncure sent in a patch to fix an issue with the hint bit
Alexey Klyukin sent in a patch to help build the infrastructure for a
validator for configuration files.
Bruce Momjian sent in a patch to adjust a comment in autovacuum.c.
Joseph Adams sent in a patch to allow casting int2, int4 and int8 to
Shigeru HANADA sent in two revisions of a patch to fix the foreign
Brendan Jurd sent in a patch to rationalize parsing of pg_hba.conf.
Rushabh Lathia sent in a patch to fix a crash on Windows.
Dan Ports sent in a patch to display the pid of the holding
transaction in SSI.
Dan Ports sent in a patch to fix an issue in SSI where a lock could be
taken but never cleared.
pgsql-announce by date
|Next:||From: Pavel Golub||Date: 2011-04-07 06:57:05|
|Subject: MicroOLAP Database Designer for PostgreSQL 1.8.0 Beta available|
|Previous:||From: Marko Kreen||Date: 2011-04-02 13:35:32|
|Subject: PgBouncer 1.4.1|