Re: Major features for 9.1

From: Robert Bernier <robert(at)pg-live(dot)info>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major features for 9.1
Date: 2011-04-02 17:39:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Here's my thoughts...

> Here's a list of the features which seem to me to be major enough to be
> headliners for 9.1.  Please mark which ones you think are major/not
> major/not major and anything you think I've forgotten.
> ... picking 5-6 items ...

>  Synchronous Replication

it's the flavour of the day

> * wCTE: Writeable Common Table Expressions

I'm finding myself using a lot of Common Table Expressions it's more intuitive
than the more traditional BEGIN .. COMMIT paradigm especially for

> * Per-column collations

> * SSI: Serializable Snapshot Isolation
> True serializability without locking.

You have to explain this otherwise there's no point in promoting this

> * Unlogged Tables
> Reason: allows using Postgres for not-valuable, high-performance data
> like session tables instead of using a caching database

This is a sleeper. Drop the apology that it's for 'not-valuable' data. I can
see a lot of places that can allow pg to enter the big-data / cassandra /
hbase  world

> * KNN-GiST: K-Nearest Neighbor Indexing
> Permits indexed searches of "what's near X", greatly improving the
> responsiveness of PostGIS applications and allowing new application
> types to be built.

> * Single-command cloning, new admin tools for replication
> Not sure about this one, should probably be buried in text somewhere.

Should be massaged as part of the continuing evolution of replication support,
the first point.

> * PL/Python Overhaul

need more details to vote on it

> SEPostgres

requires a user-case i.e. show how a past high profile exploit could have been
stopped with this mechanism in place.

> Extensions

I suggest a user-case explanation of how would it be used