Re: Should psql support URI syntax?

From: Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should psql support URI syntax?
Date: 2011-04-01 07:12:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heyho!

On Friday 01 April 2011 02.39:25 Christopher Browne wrote:
> An advantage to this uri form is that it allows applications to be
> configured uniformly - I do not need to ask "is this using libpq, needing
> one sort of configuration, or Java, needing another?"
>
> Rather, I may say, "here is a uri I may use with any of my applications"

Since URI stings are popular, it might really make sense if pg could
recommend a preferred form of postgres URI strings (and obviously implement
it in libpq). For the non-libpq APIs (there's at least
http://python.projects.postgresql.org/, don't know about others), it would
still be just a recommendation that they could follow or not follow, so the
situation wouldn't change too much from today, I fear.

cheers
-- vbi

--
East Indians sometimes see Heaven as a giant bureaucracy, and frequently
report being sent back because of clerical errors.