Re: Open issues for collations

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Open issues for collations
Date: 2011-03-29 06:35:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 08:02:40PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> One thing I noticed but didn't push to committing is that the test case
> has a largely-unnecessary assumption about how the local system's locale
> names spell "utf8". We could eliminate that by having it use the
> trimmed locale names created by initdb. I would've made more of a push
> for that if it resulted in a test case that passed on OS X, but it turns
> out that once you get past the locale name spelling, you find out that
> Macs still can't sort UTF8 strings correctly :-(

Yeah, and I don't think it's likely they're ever going to fix it
either. :( On their own website they explain how to do locale based
sorting, and they provide their own interfaces for that which,
unsurprisingly, uses UTF-16 and ICU underneath.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFLocales/Articles/CFLocaleConcepts.html

I think the rule that we sort the same as the command-line sort program
is still true however, so I don't think it's surprising as such. Just
unfortunate.

Have a nice day,