Re: Doubt in Backup

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Adarsh Sharma <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Doubt in Backup
Date: 2011-03-21 14:16:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:13:57 pm Adarsh Sharma wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> 2 days ago, I need to backup 2 databases in my Database server because I
> need to format the system and reinstalls again with the back up databases.
>
> After a fresh install of ubuntu-10.4 , I install postgreplus-8.4 binary
> and I think giving the previous data directory /hdd2-1/postgres_data
> during installation for my own testing.

Is this the same major version you where running before? In other word where you
running 8.4.x previously?

> I think it picks the previous data and therefore, no need for restoring
> backups of 2 databases that was taken before.

This I wonder about. When you said reformat above, did you mean reformat the file
system or did it have some other meaning?

> But what I have noticed that there is 6 databases in my Postgres
> database and one database *pdc_uima* doesn't have any entry in \l command.

Well there are the three system databases,template0,template1 and postgres. If
it did indeed install over the previous $DATA directory then that would be an
additional two to get you to five. Showing the list of database and what is
expected and what is not would be helpful.

> However I restore it from my previous backup.
>
> Does Someone has any comments and suggestion on it. What is the reason
> of this strange problem.

When you reinstalled Postgres did you do a initdb to create a new cluster?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com