pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp meaning

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp meaning
Date: 2011-03-18 23:23:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I just applied a doc patch for pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp, and the
text now says:

       <entry>Get timestamp of last transaction replayed during recovery.
        This is the time at which the commit or abort WAL record for that
        transaction was generated on the primary.
        If no transactions have been replayed during recovery, this function
        returns NULL.  Otherwise, if recovery is still in progress this will
        increase monotonically.  If recovery has completed then this value will
        remain static at the value of the last transaction applied during that
        recovery.  When the server has been started normally without recovery
        the function returns NULL.

Is this really the last commit/abort record or the last WAL record?
What should it be?  Is the name of this function correct?  Do we care
only about commit/abort records? Why?

Next:From: Radosław SmoguraDate: 2011-03-18 23:35:00