Re: SSI bug?

From: Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSI bug?
Date: 2011-03-18 18:18:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
It would probably also be worth monitoring the size of pg_locks to see
how many predicate locks are being held.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 12:50:16PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Even with the above information it may be far from clear where
> allocations are going past their maximum, since one HTAB could grab
> more than its share and starve another which is staying below its
> "maximum".  I'll take a look at the possibility of adding a warning
> or some such when an HTAB expands past its maximum size.

Yes -- considering how few shared memory HTABs have sizes that are
really dynamic, I'd be inclined to take a close look at SSI and
max_predicate_locks_per_transaction regardless of where the failed
allocation took place. But I am surprised to see that error message
without SSI's hint about increasing max_predicate_locks_per_xact.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/